As of June 11, 2018, applicants of Form I-751 (Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence) or Form I-829 (Petition by Investor to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status), will receive Form I-797 (Receipt Notice) to be able to present with their I-551 petition, Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) as proof of continued lawful residency within 18 months of the Expiration date of your permanent resident card (green card).

Citizenship and Immigration Services adjusted 12 months to 18 months because the current processing times for I-751 and I-829 petitions have increased over the years.

At the same time, Citizenship and Immigration Services will issue new I-797 petitions (Receipt Notice) to eligible permanent residents if their I-751 or I-829 petitions are still pending as of June 11, 2018. These I-797 Forms (Receipt Notice) will also serve as evidence of continued lawful residency within 18 months of the expiration date on the applicant’s permanent resident card.

Please note that the eligible permanent residents planning to leave the United States for a period of 1 year or more should apply for a Reentry Permit by completing Form I-131 (Application for Travel Document) before leaving the United States. Please find more details on the website of the Immigration Department.

If you need more information, contact us and speak with a U.S. immigration attorney in Ho Chi Minh City, Manila, and Taipei.


Copyright 2021. This article is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This article may be changed with or without notice. The opinions expressed in this article are those of Enterline and Partners only.