E-1/E-2 Visas

The E-1/E-2 visa provides nonimmigrant visa status for a national of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation. The applicant must be coming to the United States to carry out substantial trade (E-1), or be in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital (E-2). An E visa application can be made directly at the U.S. Consulate where the applicant lives.



  • The applicant must be a national of a treaty country
  • The trading company to which the applicant is coming to the U.S. to work must have the nationality of the treaty country (owned by nationals of the treaty county)
  • The international trade must be “substantial” in the sense that there is a sizable and continuous volume of trade
  • The trade must be principally between the U.S. and the treaty country
  • Trade means the international exchange of goods, services, and/or technology
  • The applicant must be employed in a supervisory or executive capacity, or possess highly specialized skills
  • Person must have nationality of the treaty country
  • Legal source and path of funds (not as stringent as EB-5)
  • Actively in the process of investing
  • Applicant or a person from the treaty country must own at least 50% of the business
  • Applicant must have the ability to direct and develop the business
  • Show intent to depart the U.S. after the stay in the U.S. ends
  • Varies depending on business and location, but an applicant should have a target investment of around US$250,000
  • Must demonstrate possession and control of the capital assets, including funds invested
  • As long as all requirements continue to be met, the E visa applicant can apply for extensions indefinitely
  • You can still apply for an immigrant visa after securing an E visa.
  • No Visa Quota: There is currently no limit on the number of E visas issued
  • Visa for Spouse and Children: Your spouse and your children (under 21) can live, work and study in the U.S.
  • E visas preparation and processing can take as little at 1-2 months allowing you and your family to quickly relocate to the U.S.
Book a Consultation Now