A common question asked by potential clients is do you need an immigration lawyer to file an I-129 Petition for a K-1 visa for your Taiwanese fiancée or fiancé? The short answer is no, you do not need a lawyer. However, having a lawyer represent you and your fiancé through the process has advantages.

  • An immigration lawyer is a licensed professional.

Unlike visa companies or agencies that rely on non-lawyers, an immigration lawyer licensed in the United States can represent clients for immigration matters all over the world.

  • An immigration lawyer has a deeper and more thorough knowledge of the overall process.

The I-129F Petitioner and K-1 visa applicant may encounter some issues when being adjudicated by the U.S. consular officer at a U.S. Consulate such as language and culture barriers, age gaps, and socio-economic gaps between the U.S. citizen petitioner and the fiancée.  By consulting and retaining an experienced immigration lawyer, you will take comfort in knowing that you are working with a professional who can offer solutions and strategies to address these frequent issues and concerns raised by the interviewing officer when your Taiwanese fiancée undergoes her interview.

  • An immigration lawyer can represent you and your fiancé before the two government agencies responsible for overseeing U.S. immigration matters, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Department of State.

The lawyer can represent you to file the I-129F Petition. In case of problems, the immigration lawyer can speak with the agency and file additional documentation on your behalf. Once the Petition is approved and sent to the U.S. Consulate, an immigration lawyer can continue to represent you and your fiancée without having to file additional documentation.

If you need support to file your Petition for your fiancé and obtain a K-1 visa, let us help you